SETUP > UNITS
A unit represents any bookable space at your property (for example a room, camping pitch, treehouse or cottage). You can add more units Under Setup > Units > Add Unit. For more information on adding units, see our Adding Units Guide which also covers creating new units based on a single unit (cloning), and copying details from one unit to all the others in the group (recloning).
Each rate has a details screen which lists the basic information for that unit, most of which is used for public display.
- Unit Number – This lists your units numerically
- Unit Code – Optional, and for back office use only - not publicly visible
- Unit Parent Type and Unit Type – General types are listed under Unit Parent Type, and then specific types under Unit Type
- Unit Group – If you have created a Group to allocate this unit to then click the dropdown menu and assign the unit. See our Group guide here for more details
- Unit Name – Please name the unit (e.g. Grass Pitch, Orchard Yurt, Family Room), keep the name reasonably short, and add additional information in the Unit Summary and Unit Text
- Unit Summary – In a couple of sentences, sell customers on this unit. Outline specifics of the unit and entice potential customers. A great example is: 'Our riverside shepherds hut is perfect for couples and comes complete with double bed, kitchen and wood-burning stove. All bedding included and welcome hamper awaits on arrival'
- Unit Text – Describe your unit in detail, including size, beds, rooms, facilities, and any other appliances and features included. Expand a little upon the property and the nearby area, mentioning things like onsite facilities and any nearby attractions. Consider all the things a guest should know before making a decision
This is where you set the capacities of your unit, including the minimum / maximum number of adults and children your unit holds, the minimum age (if any) required of your guests in this unit, and the number of people included in the base price of your unit.
- How many people are required to book this unit? – Set your minimum and maximum number of people (inclusive of both adults and children) permitted in the unit
- How many adults are required to book this unit? – Set your minimum and maximum number of adults permitted in the unit
- How many children are required to book this unit? – Set your minimum and maximum number of children permitted in the unit
- What is the minimum age of anyone staying in this unit? – If you have no min age for anyone staying in unit leave as 0
If you have per-person rates to charge for extra people, you will want to set the number of people included on your units. First set up your per-person rates as you want them for additional people on your units, and then open the Pricing tab on your unit to choose how to include people in the price of the base rate. You have choice of:
- No people included - all people are charged using the base + per person rate
- Include People - people are included for free in the base rate, adults first up to this total of people, excess people are charged using per-person rates
- Include Adults and Children - adults and children are included for free in the base rate up to these totals, then charged according to the per-person rates on the unit
The images here should specifically be of your unit and facilities. You have another main image gallery for shots of the property itself. It is very important that your images reflect the accommodation on offer since customers will book on the basis of these pictures and displaying inaccurate images could result in customer complaints if the offering does not match up with the reality of the unit (obviously in the case of camping or caravan pitches, there is no need to show an image of each specific pitch). For this reason, stock images are not permitted. Please see our image guidelines before uploading to the gallery.
- Click on the 'Choose Files' button , then select all the files you want to add (on a Mac you do this by holding down the command key and using the mouse to select files)
- Once uploaded, you can re-order these by clicking and dragging the images in line with where you want them to appear in the gallery. Please note, the drag-and-drop function will not work on iPad, iPhone or similar touch-screen device, so to re-order the gallery you must click on the image and change the number in the sort field to reflect its place in the gallery (e.g. 1 will appear first, 2 will appear second, etc).
Copying Unit Details
Rather than individually creating multiple identical units, you can duplicate a unit using the Cloning tool. We advise you not to clone units until you are absolutely sure all other aspects of your booking system setup are complete.
See our Recloning Guide for more on copying Unit settings.
Ensuring that you have applied any relevant tags to your unit increases your visibility and likelihood of securing bookings. If no tags apply, make sure you tick 'None of the above apply' option.
Once you have created your Season(s), you need to assign the Unit to any Seasons that you want the Unit to be bookable in. You do not have to have already setup your Seasons to complete this initial Unit setup. Simply save your changes, then once you have created your Season, go back into the unit preview menu (Setup>Units>Edit) and assign to the relevant Season.
See our Seasons guide for more.
Once you have created your rates, you need to assign the unit to any rates that you want to apply to the unit. You do not have to have already setup your Rates to complete this initial Unit setup. Simply save your changes, then once you have created your Rates, go back into the unit preview menu (Setup>Units>Edit) and assign to the relevant Rates.
You can also set how many people are included in the base price for the unit here, IF you have per-person rates set up on your site. If you don't have that type of rate these settings are not available.
See our Rates guide for more.
Once you have created your Extras, you need to assign the Unit to any Extras that you want to apply to the Unit. You do not have to have already setup your Extras to complete this initial Unit setup. Simply save your changes, then once you have created your Extras, go back into the unit preview menu (Setup>Units>Edit) and assign to the relevant Rates.
See our Extras guide for more.
We have standard booking confirmation messages that get sent automatically to both the customer and property owner at the point of booking. These are already assigned to the unit by default. However, you may wish to create your own customised messages to be sent in addition to/instead of the standard Bedful emails. To ensure a quick unit setup, we recommend leaving the default messages in place for now and creating customised messages later if you so wish.
See our Customise Messages guide for more.